Home-Start supports families where the parents are finding it difficult to cope with bringing up a young family. Trained volunteers visit families in their own homes. They offer time, friendship and help with the difficulties that parents with young children can face.
Our home visiting service is available to any parent or carer with a child under 5. Please see the Home Page for details of our other services to families.
The Home-Start Approach
Home-Start schemes are rooted in the community they serve. We are managed locally but are supported by a national organisation, Home-Start UK, which offers direction, training, information and guidance to schemes and ensures consistent and quality support for parents and children.
Home-Start has a proven, lasting, positive impact on the development of children and the health and welfare of the family. Read more »
What Home-Start offers
Home-Start believes that children need a happy and secure childhood and that parents play the key role in giving their children a good start in life and helping them achieve their full potential.
Many parents need help, advice or support during those early years when children are young. There is no rulebook for raising a family and sometimes it can seem overwhelming, particularly if your family is going through difficult times.
Our service offers:
- A volunteer with parenting experience to visit parents with young children at home. The volunteer offers tailor-made one-to-one support – usually on a weekly basis for approx. 8 visits.
- Emotional support to help parents find ways to manage and resolve problems.
- Direct support for children including playing, listening, having fun, establishing routines, encouraging development and providing opportunities for outings and treats.
- Practical help with getting to appointments, doing the shopping, budgeting, nutrition and meal planning, cooking and making the home safe.
- Outreach and family groups so parents can get out, meet others, and become more involved in their own community.
- Information and links to other organisations including health and educational services.
- Attendance at meetings and moral support, especially in relation to dealing with case conferences or solicitors and court cases.
- Access to parenting advice and parenting skills training.
Home-Start wants to see a society in which all parents have the support they need to give their children the best start in life.