Reasons for volunteering
Volunteers give their time for many reasons:
- To make a difference to a family’s life
- Give something back to their local community
- Return the support they once received from Home-Start
- Share a similar experience
- Boost their confidence
- Prepare for returning to work or to progress their career
- Because they have time to spare
Our volunteers get a lot out of helping children and families and often continue volunteering for a number of years.
Many of our volunteers have used their experience as a stepping stone to paid employment.
The difference volunteers make
Our volunteers play a vital role in releasing the potential of parents, and giving children the best possible start in life. Our dedicated volunteers are making a real difference to the lives of children and families in communities across the UK.
Last year more than 90% of the families our volunteers had supported said they felt:
- more involved in their children’s development
- their children’s emotional and physical health and well being had improved
- better able to manage their children’s behaviour
- less isolated
- less stressed
- more able to cope with day-to-day running of the house
- they were using local services more